I am planning to buy a tractor (large size) to start a business as an owner operator. My plan is to hire a driver to do the work.
First, as a clarification, if you put a driver on your truck, you will not be an owner operator. An owner operator is just that — an owner who operates his truck.
Yes, you can do what you want to do, providing you have the funds and knowledge. There are many, many things you need to know. Are you planning or getting your own authority, or leasing the truck to carrier? Do you know about licensing (business and equipment), permits, taxes (payroll and other business), and insurance for starters? Do you enough capital?
These are just a few of the things you need to know. There are hundreds more.
You should check out some trucking forums, OOIDA (Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association), and the blog "How to Become an Owner Operator and Make Money in Trucking".
- how do you start a trucking business ?
- how do i run a trucking business?
- with no money of my own how can i get a loan to purchase a tractor/trailer for a trucking start/up business.?
- Want to start a trucking business, Can some one in the field shed some light on How to go about it.?
- How difficult is it to start a trucking business?